Yesterday I took Baby R to the Developmental Assessment Clinic. Apparently all the babies from the NICU are supposed to go there to be "assessed." The good news is that Baby R "graduated" from the program yesterday. Normally the clinic has the children come a few times until they are three years old, but since Baby R is not behind at all developmentally they graduated her.
Here is the strange part: They told me that I should not put Baby R in a jumper, an exersaucer, or a walker - ever! Apparently they are bad for babies, or so they say. They said that it can cause problems in the legs and feet of the babies, and they can be dangerous. This came up because they said I need to keep Baby R from putting pressure on the back of her head too much so her head will continue rounding itself out. No problem... But when "Early On" came to assess her a while back, and we talked about what activities she could do to help her round out her head they told me the jumper and exersaucer were fine (along with tummy time and sitting).
And here's the kicker - both of the people who gave me conflicting advice were Physical Therapists, and both work together! How can they give me such different advice??? Oh well. Baby R's head is rounding itself out just fine, and I will just go the middle ground. A little bit of time once in a while in her jumper and exersaucer probably won't hurt her...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
i think that sounds like a very typical medical opinion- nothing hard and fast - lots of varying angles and thoughts - and nothing concrete to cling to. you have commone sense - you will know what is appropriate and not for your own child
That's why I just duct-tape my girls to the wall all day. It keeps them from playing with dangerous things like toys, books, and their parents.
But seriously, as a parent you can't keep your kids from ever doing anything just because of some sketchy medical advice. I'm sure that within a week there will be a new study showing that kids using jumpers live longer or something.
Useful information, you know!
I'm glad Baby R "graduated" and is doing so well. She is beautiful!
I agree with the middle ground thing. I had heard it was bad to use jumpers and walkers and things if you're leaving the baby in them for several hours out of the day. But we all used them some as a baby, and we turned out ok!
Post a Comment